Teresa Renaker joined the firm as an associate attorney in 1997 and became a shareholder in 2003.
Ms. Renaker represents plaintiffs in individual, multi-plaintiff, and class actions under ERISA, including claims for benefits and breach of fiduciary duty. Ms. Renaker also represents clients on state-law service-provider malpractice claims relating to employee benefits plans and claims under government employee benefits programs. Prior to joining the firm, Ms. Renaker served as a law clerk to the Honorable Irma E. Gonzalez of the United States District Court for the Southern District of California.
- Top 100 Northern California Super Lawyers, 2012-2014
- Top 50 Women Northern California Super Lawyers, 2008-2014
- Northern California Super Lawyers, Employee Benefits/ERISA, 2007-2014
- California Law Review Alumna of the Year, 2014
Civic Activities and Professional Associations
Bar Association of San Francisco
- Board, Jan. 1, 2014-present
- Judiciary Committee, 2012-present
American Bar Association
- Joint Committee on Employee Benefits, 2006-2014
- Commission on Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity, Aug. 2014-present
Publications and Presentations
- Ms. Renaker authors the “Employee Benefits” chapter of California Domestic Partnerships (CEB 2005 and annual updates) and the “Employee Welfare and Other Nonpension Benefits” chapter of Dividing Pensions and Other Employee Benefits in California Divorces (CEB 2006 and annual updates).
- Ms. Renaker is a frequent speaker and writer on employee benefits issues, including, most recently, issues affecting employees in same-sex marriages and domestic partnerships and issues arising under the Affordable Care Act.
- Paulsen v. CNF Inc., 559 F.3d 1061 (9th Cir. 2009)
- Vaughn v. Bay Environmental Management, Inc., 544 F.3d 1008 (9th Cir. 2008), amended, 567 F.3d 1021 (9th Cir. 2009)
- Moon v. Rush, 2013 WL 4012828 (E.D. Cal. Aug. 6, 2013)
- Cozen O’Connor, P.C. v. Tobits, 2013 WL 3878688 (E.D. Pa. July 29, 2013)
- Taylor v. ANB Bancshares, Inc., 2010 WL 4054362 (W.D. Ark. Sept. 20, 2010); 2010 WL 4627672 (W.D. Ark. Nov. 4, 2010)
- Lively v. Dynegy, Inc., 2007 WL 685861 (S.D. Ill. Mar. 2, 2007), and 420 F. Supp. 2d 949 (S.D. Ill. 2006)
- Farhat v. Hartford Life & Acc. Ins. Co., 2006 WL 2521571 (N.D. Cal. Aug. 30, 2006)
- Gerlib v. R. R. Donnelley & Sons Co., 2002 WL 1285795 (N.D. Ill. June 11, 2002), and 2001 WL 1313794 (N.D. Ill., Oct. 26, 2001)
- McMunn v. Pirelli Tire, LLC, 161 F. Supp. 2d 97 (D. Conn. 2001)